There Are Way Too Many Vacant Staff Positions in Children's Ministry
October 21, 2019
Go to any of the premiere church staffing agencies and you will find dozens of open positions for children's pastors / directors. There is a void of leaders who are giving their entire ministry to reaching and discipling children and equipping parents.
Like never before, we need to pray that God will raise up people to help churches reach and disciple the next generation.
I believe children's ministry leaders are one of the most important staff members in a church.
1. Children are the greatest mission field. We know that up to 85% of people who come to Christ, do so before they turn 18. There are over 74 million children in the U.S. and over 2 billion worldwide. Why would we not support "missionaries" who are called to reach them?
Investing in people who can help a church or ministry lead the charge in reaching children just makes sense. A lot of sense.
We know Timothy was a great leader in the early church. How did this happen? What caused Timothy to grow up to be a church leader? The answer is found in 2 Timothy 3:15.
"You have been taught the holy Scriptures from childhood, and they have given you the wisdom to receive the salvation that comes by trusting in
We need leaders and parents who will strategically teach children from an early age about living for God. We need leaders who will equip and partner with parents to disciple their children.
2. Children will bring God's blessings to a church. Check out the truth coming out of this verse in Mark 9:37.
“Anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me welcomes not only me but also my Father who
When a church makes children's ministry a top priority, the church is ushering in the blessings of God. When a church hires a children's pastor/leader, they are making one of the best hires they can make.
3. Children are crucial for the growth of a church. Here's the cool thing. When you hire a children's pastor/director, you are setting your ministry up for growth. As the children's pastor/director sets up the ministry to reach children and families, the church will experience growth. We know families go to church where their children enjoy being. A growing church will have children dragging their parents to church. A declining church will have parents having to drag their children to church.
The difference in the above two situations? A children's ministry leader who leads the charge to reach the next generation.
4. Children's ministry leaders can help equip and encourage parents to lead their children spiritually. We know parents are the greatest influence in a child's spiritual life. When you hire a children's / family pastor, you are emphasizing this and encouraging parents to disciple their children. A children's pastor/director can help with strategies and planning for this.
5. Children must be reached and discipled if a church is going to have a future. A church without children is terminal. This being said, one of the most important roles in the church is a children's pastor/director who knows this and leads the church to make children's ministry a top priority. When you hire a children's pastor/director, you are making on the best investments you can make for the future of the church.
Would you pray with me that many more people will hear the call of God and invest their lives in reaching children and families? Would you pray with me that churches will see the vital importance of having someone who can lead the church to reach and disciple children and their families.
Perhaps God is calling you to give your life to reaching the next generation.
Look what D.L. Moody, the great evangelist of years gone by said about this.
"If I had my life to live over again, I would devote my entire ministry to reaching children."
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Why You Need a Coach
Where Churches Are Failing Kids
Inside Look at the Children's Ministry Area of Cross Church